Get in motion with your grandchildren!
Spending quality time with your grandchildren is a great way to engage in physically activity together.
Here are some helpful tips for getting in motion with your grandchildren
- Show your grandchildren how much fun it is to be active by being a positive role model. Take them out to experience activities that you enjoy and that they do not experience regularly.
- Try games that you played when you were younger. Trying new fun activities will help keep your grandchildren engaged.
- Explore your community with your grandchildren such as visiting a local park. If you are up to it, visiting a different park within the city/town you live in can also be an exciting adventure.
- Allow children to be independent explorers and let them play and explore the surroundings.
- Attend physical activity related games and practices that your grandchildren are involved in. This is a great way to cheer and show your support for their efforts.
For more information on tips for getting active with your grandchildren visit
Information from/adapted from the following References:
1. Van Gorp, D,.(2011). Kids should be kids…so should grandparents! Canadian Centre for Activity and Aging. Retrieved July 8th, 2011 from http://www.uwo.ca/actage/enewsletter/june_11/exercising-with-grandkids.html
Last Reviewed Dec 2011