Stay Safe While Being Active
Here are some tips to keep you safe while being physically active:
- Engage in a warm up and cool down period to prepare your muscles for your workout, prevent injuries, and help avoid muscles stiffness and soreness.
- Be prepared in advance for any physical activity adventures by preparing a training schedule well in advance.
- Trying out a new activity? Take some lessons so that you know what you are to do during your activity.
- Gradually increase your activity. Doing more activity than your body can handle can cause injury.
- Listen to what your body is telling you. Muscle soreness is common if you are taking part in a new activity or have not been active in a while. If you are feeling pain, which is different from muscles soreness, it can be a way your body is telling you something is not right.
Check with your health care provider before you start a new physical activity or if you have not been active for a while.
Last Reviewed Mar 2011