What to Wear When Walking
Stepping out for a walk is a wonderful way to get in motion. Here are some helpful tips to consider before heading out.
Wear comfortable shoes to help prevent injury or sore feet. If you decide to buy pair of good walking shoes look for shoes that have:
- A sole that is flexible and bends in the area your foot bends.
- A slightly raised heel and provides the area around your heel with support.
- Room to move your toes.
- A firm arch for support.
- Leather or a nylon mesh to help your feet breathe.
Try your shoes on and walk around the store to make sure they are comfortable and fit well before you purchase them.
- When heading out wear comfortable loose clothing that is made of breathable nylon, wool, or cotton.
- During warmer months wear lightweight clothing that is loose. Also wear a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
- In case your body gets warmer during the winter months, wear easily removable layers. Cover your hands, head, face and ears to prevent frostbite.
- Wear reflective clothing and/or reflective items such as reflective bands so that drivers can easily see you at dusk or after dark.
Get Active and Have Fun!
Information from/adapted from the following References:
- Physical Activity Resource Centre. (2004). Walk this Way. Retrieved October 25th, 2010 from http://parc.ophea.net/walk-way
Last Reviewed Feb 2011